Part-Time Pastoral Assistant
Would you value the opportunity to experience parish ministry in a vibrant context in Tottenham as your time commitments allow? Would you value support as you explore your sense of vocation alongside your full- or part-time work or study commitments?
The North London Pastoral Assistant Scheme is a long- and well-established Scheme that offers young people the opportunity to work for a year or two in a parish context, alongside priests and people, in our lively, diverse parishes of both traditional and liberal catholic integrities. Up to nine full time placements are available each year (there is still one vacancy for an Autumn 2022 start) – however the Scheme is now also offering part-time placements.
The placement will be combined with practical and vocational guidance, membership of a praying and worshipping community, and support and friendship with others on the Scheme, both full- and part- time.
Part-time pathways will be tailored to suit individual circumstances, work commitments, etc. and could involve just a few hours a week. The precise schedule will be determined by consultation between the Supervisor (the Parish Priest) and the Pastoral Assistant him/herself.
However, the pathway for part-time Pastoral Assistants will always include:
• Assisting on Sundays in their parish church (excluding periods of annual holiday)
• Assisting at Holy Week and Christmas services
• Undertaking pastoral work with different groups in the parish
• Undertaking teaching/group work e.g, study groups, catechetical classes, pastoral visiting, opportunities to preach occasionally where appropriate
• The possibility of attendance at theological and pastoral formation sessions through the year, and the chance to join full time Pastoral Assistants on an annual trip abroad (if work/study commitments allow)
• Individual supervision and support in vocational discernment
At S. Benet Fink there will also be specific opportunities to get involved with:
· Supporting parish events, such as Choir Mass & Canapes, and Evensong & Curry
· Serving and occasional sub-deaconing at Mass (full liturgical training provided)
· Supporting the work of our ‘Hygiene Bank’
It may be possible for Pastoral Assistants on the part-time pathway to have residential accommodation on the Scheme at a reduced rent. This will, again, be a subject for discussion with Supervisors. There is no remuneration for the part-time pathway, but reasonable expenses, agreed in advance, for travel, etc. will be paid by the Scheme.
S. Benet Fink has enjoyed supporting a number of full- and part-time Pastoral Assistant placements in the parish over the past decade, several of whom are now ordained or are in training for ordained ministry. The Pastoral Assistants, whether full- or part-time, are valued members of our ministry team, and are welcomed warmly into the life of the Parish.
You can find out more about parish life at S. Benet Fink elsewhere on this website.
If you are interested in finding out more about a part time Pastoral Assistant placement at S. Benet Fink, Tottenham in 2022/23 then you are warmly encouraged to contact Fr James, the Vicar, for an informal discussion e: firstname.lastname@example.org
An enhanced DBS check will be required for all Pastoral Assistants participating in the Scheme.
If you wish to apply for this role, please contact Fr James, and he’ll send you an application pack.